Preconception Carrier Screening to Protect Generations
Some people are aware of genetic conditions that run in their families, but 80% of children born with a genetic condition have no family history of their disorder. The best way to find out if your future children are at risk for a life-altering genetic condition is to get preconception carrier screening, which can determine whether a you or your partner are carriers of a preventable genetic condition.
Ovation Genetics’ advanced genetic testing labs provide preconception carrier screening for hopeful parents in the United States and around the world. Using the most advanced technologies available – backed by an unprecedented level of customer support – these state-of-the-art tests check for 185 different genetic disorders, including cystic fibrosis, Tay-Sachs, fragile X syndrome, spinal muscular atrophy and sickle cell anemia.
This quick and simple test requires just a single blood draw or saliva sample to be sent to our innovative genetics lab for analysis. You and your physician will then get your results back in 10 to 14 days from collection. You’ll also have access to a one-on-one consult with one of our board certified genetics counselors, who specialize in reproductive genetics, to help you understand your results and plan your next steps.
Ovation Carrier Screening delivers outstanding customer support and a personal touch that goes above and beyond what’s provided by other genetics laboratories.
- Knowledgeable, responsive customer service and genetic counseling
- Quick testing turnaround time
- All-inclusive cash price, so you won’t get any “surprise” bills
- Insurance benefits verification and courtesy billing
- Support for insurance claims appeals, if needed
Should I get carrier screening?
The American Congress of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ACOG) and the American College of Medical Genetics (ACMG) now recommends that all people of reproductive age should know their carrier status prior to trying to conceive. Ovation Carrier Screening can unlock the mysteries of your genetic makeup to help protect your future children from inheriting a genetic condition that you may not even know you carry.
The average person carries three to five disease-causing genetic variants, but most have no symptoms of illness. However, when two people who carry the same genetic variant have a child, the risk of that child having a genetic illness is greatly increased, to 25% to 50%.
- 45% of people who get carrier screening carry at least one genetic condition.
- 3.5% of couples who get carrier screening have an increased risk of passing on a genetic condition.
Ovation Carrier Screening is a smart choice for anyone who is planning a family, is already pregnant or simply wants to know their own carrier status.
- Anyone who is trying to conceive or planning to have a baby
- Couples using IVF to conceive
- Couples who already have one child with, or a family history of, a genetic condition
- Women who are already pregnant and want to learn as much as possible about their babies’ health before birth
Couples who are carriers can still have a baby, but they may decide to use IVF with advanced genetic testing of their embryos – called preimplantation genetic testing for monogenetic disorders, or PGT-M – to ensure that their children are unaffected by the genetic disorder.
Ovation Carrier Screening empowers you to understand your own reproductive risk and take control of your family-building options. To learn more about Ovation Carrier Screening, or for help finding a fertility specialist near you who offers the test, contact us today.